See Interviewing Nannies for questions to ask Mother's Helps and Babysitters
Babysitters come to your home and care for your children for
a few hours, day or night. They can be obtained through personal
contacts and recommendations, local advertisements in shops,
through agencies, or by placing an ad.
You should expect to pay a babysitter about £5 an hour so ask her what
Always remember to leave your babysitter details of where you will be and how to contact you, as well as contact details for your doctor and anyone else who you think would be useful such as a relative who lives nearby. Also tell her/him about any food allergies the children have and generally what your children like and dislike. If it is a babysitter's first visit make sure your children spend some time with them - to allow them to get acquainted - before you go out.
Here are some questions you may wish to ask potential babysitters. There are more in the 'Interviewing Nannies' section.
· Criminal convictions - Do you have a criminal convictions certificate? (Police check)
· References - Have you brought some written references?
· First Aid - Do you have a first aid certificate?
· Experience - Do you have experience with children the same age as mine?
· Qualifications - Do you have any childcare qualifications?
· Smoker - Are you a smoker? If so, will you agree not to smoke whilst babysitting?
· Situations - What would you do in certain situations? (make up appropriate scenarios)